Sunday, August 03, 2008

A Summertime Phenomenon in Southern California

I did my usual Saturday morning 30 mile bicycle ride along the South Bay Beach Bike Trail. Turns out that today is Day 1 of an event unique to SoCal - the annual Manhattan Beach 6-Man Volleyball Tournament.

It is a madhouse of people - more than 30,000 people show up for a huge volleyball tourney and beach party. All the teams dress up in crazy costumes. It's a combination of Halloween, Mardi Gras, a world-class sporting event, and a nightclub, all on the beach.

There were teams in all kinds of crazy and revealing costumes - from guys dressed in grandma dresses and wearing wigs, to girls in skimpy Santa costumes and tiny bikinis that left nothing to the imagination.

And there I was worried about how I looked in my colorful bike jersey and spandex bike shorts.

No comments: